CAN YOU SPARE SOME CHANGE?
Change, Please! is a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer in which you play as a coin traveling through the vending machine that you were just put into. The overall goal will be to travel from where the coin was put into the machine to the coin collection bin, so that it can be taken out and move on to another machine. In order to overcome obstacles and solve puzzles, the coin will be able to transform into other coins, which will unlock various abilities and new statistics.
During the development of Change, Please!, our goal was to create a more casual that required the player to think about their surroundings and then act on them by using their different forms. This is how we came to the conception of the coin being able to change into different coins. Initially, the player starts out as a penny, and as they travel through the machine, they collect their own form of currency. Once they have enough, they are able to change into the different coins, which will give them new statistics. For example, changing from the penny into a quarter reduces how high the player can jump, but will increase their speed and strength.
With Change, Please!, I took on a leadership role. This was a mix of various different roles, such as team management, QA management, and in-engine work. During our team meetings, I took it upon myself to keep track of what everyone was doing for each sprint, and to keep all of us focused while doing our planning. As for QA, I created test plans and surveys each week, went to most of our QA sessions, and analyzed the results of each session.
My design work for Change, Please! was almost entirely in-engine. In the beginning, I mainly started out as a systems designer. I built the original prototype for the game during our concepting phase, and continued to create and program new systems. Towards the end of development, I shifted over to more of a level design role. It originally started with more in-engine concepting, but I found that I needed to plan out my designs a bit better for the puzzles. I switched over to making level sketches on paper first, and then implementing them. Overall, I think that this method worked much better than the previous, and made the game much more enjoyable.
My Level Designs
- FACTS -
Role: Designer/QA Analyst
Development Period: Late August 2018 – Late November 2018
Team Size: 4
- EXTERNAL LINKS -
- Project Blog -
- Download The Game -
I think Change, Please!, taught me a lot about my own skills as a game developer:
More specifically with puzzle platformers in my case, it seemed to work a lot better for me to plan out what the level design was going to be and then implement it. In the future, I think this will be a very valuable practice.
Like I said before, this project saw me in a leadership role, and the experiences that I had while in this position taught me about my own potential to work with others. However, I did see areas where I faltered, so I need to work on overcoming those mistakes.
My biggest regret about the development of Change, Please! was that our team focused entirely on the work aspect, and didn't really do anything social. In the future, I want to make sure that the social dynamic of the teams I work on is much better.